Created By: Isa Chandra Moskowitz
Use: Pardina Brown Lentils
Yields: 4-6 servings
Recipe courtesy of Isa Chandra Moskowitz, IsaChandra.com
4 cups water
1 cup dried Spanish Pardina brown lentils from PNW Co-op Specialty Foods
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced small
1 green pepper, diced small
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon salt
8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/4 cup tomato paste
3 Tablespoons maple syrup
1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
4 to 6 kaiser rolls or sesame buns (optional – for serving)
- Put the lentils in a small sauce pot and pour in 4 cups water.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until lentils are soft.
- Drain and set aside.
- About 10 minutes before the lentils are done boiling, preheat a medium soup pot over medium heat.
- Saute the onion and pepper in the oil for about 7 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and saute a minute more.
- Add the cooked lentils, chili powder, oregano and salt, then mix.
- Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the maple syrup and mustard and heat through.
- Turn the heat off and let sit for about 10 minutes, so that the flavors can meld, or go ahead and eat immediately if you can’t wait.
For more delicious recipes from Isa Chandra, please visit IsaChandra.com